As I’ve mentioned in the past, I attended Christian summer camps growing up. This has fueled my pursuit of full-time vocational ministry and helped me to see the importance of this season in the lives of students. While there are exceptions of fun, shallow, and meaningless summer camps, I have the opportunity to serve with a meaningful camp, one that keeps Christ as its sole focus.
This summer I have the honor of serving as Worship Leader with FUGE in Houston, TX. This journey will be the first of (hopefully) many summers serving. I will be leading a 4-person band in addition to other staffers and leaders from all over the country.
There are several indicators that FUGE has Christ as its sole focus. The Staff Manual includes 4 Key Vision principles to promote the following ideals…
- We claim the Great Commission as our charge to seek and promote LIFE CHANGE.
2. We equip people toward INTENTIONAL MINISTRY.
- We join with churches to respond to their needs as a FAMILY.
- We address needs with relevance and EXCELLENCE.
In addition, FUGE includes the following on their website.
“MFUGE is a program designed to help your students jump into ministry with local communities and serve people in need, and then take their experience home to do missions there. FUGE Camp staffers take care of the details and planning. During the day, students are challenged as individuals working alongside students and leaders from other groups. In the evening, build your group unity over worship, church group time and fellowship.”
It’s a long way from Raleigh to Houston. So here are some ways you can be praying for our team. We are exactly one month away from flying to Houston for training week.
- Our team will be there for a full month including long days and short nights. Please pray that we get adequate rest, devote time with God on a more intimate basis, and help students to see the God that died to save them.
- Many of the staffers are college students (myself included) and are finishing the Spring semester. Finals and papers are challenging, so please pray for perseverance and the priority of devoted time with God.
- Finally, pray that God would reveal himself to staff, leaders, and campers as they enjoy this life-changing experience. May He receive the glory by drawing students to himself and radically saving them from their sin. Pray that these students would learn and live what it means to be Unashamed of the gospel, to live in a manner worthy of our calling.
If any of this appeals to you, please do not hesitate to inquire. Deadlines have passed for this summer, but please consider applying for next year. You can do so by following this link.